The Governing Council (GC) is the supreme body of the Facility, in which all powers of the organization are vested, and includes twelve (12) members and twelve (12) alternate members representing the following constituencies:
- Regional Member Countries (RMCs) – five (5) members and five (5) alternate members representing Participating States that are Regional Members Countries of the African Development Bank (AfDB) Group, one for each of the five regions of Africa;
- Member States of the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) – four (4) members and four (4) alternates representing Participating States;
- Non-OECD Member States - one member and one alternate member represent non-OECD non-Regional Participating States;
- African Development Bank (AfDB) Group - one member and one alternate member;
- International Organisations - one member and one alternate member representing international organisations other than the AfDB, which are parties to the Agreement.
Members and Alternate Members of the GC are appointed for a period of two (2) years.